Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Meat Pies

Being of a Ukranian/polish + mystery pedigree I never grew up with meat pies. We never sat down to a an english deep dish crusty steak and kidney pie nor a french tourtiere (not counting those frozen whosits from la belle fermiere dad used to eat before he found vegetarianism).

But somewhere along the line I started buying Acadian pie from the pie lady at the market each weekend. I don't even know why, maybe because it was "Acadian" and here we are on the east coast. Which of course doesn't explain why I also get the veggie patties from the nice Indian couple a couple stalls away.

Anyways.

So the pie lady - otherwise known as Heppy's - just opened her store literally down our street. I can walk there anytime its 5:00 and I've forgotten to take something out of the fridge for dinner or I don't want to do anything more culinary that throw something into the oven. And because it smells good and is filled with meat and veggies I still feel like a decent mother.

But Heppy once again embodies all things nice about Nova Scotia - the other day her interac was down and there I was with a pie in my hand hoping to pay. So Heppy, who doesn't know me from a hole in the head or however you say that, says just take it and come back and pay me later. People here are sooo trusting!

http://www.heppys.com/
her website could do with better photos but her pies are super!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Ttalor072 said...

COngratulation!I found this information really
interesting and not only for the ultramarathon runner.
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your experience!
We hope you are enjoying being back and
the admiration of those around you...even from the other side of the world!
Take care, have fun,With love
Halifax ties:

12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home